The holidays are always a special time of the year, but your baby’s first experience should be just a little more magical. It’s true that baby won’t remember anything that happened, but you and the rest of the family will.
It’s important to make plans during the season. Will dinner be at your husband’s family’s home? Are presents going to opened at your parent’s home? Will everyone be coming to your house for everything in order to spend time with baby?
Plan out everything early and stick to your plan. Relatives can sometimes be pushy, but you can remind them that, while it is the holidays and the time to be with family and the ones you love, there are other family members who want to spend time with the baby. Setting expectations will save you a big headache later.
It’s also important to make sure baby doesn’t feel as if he is part of a traveling circus, an elaborate display for others to see. Give baby and yourself time to rest and recuperate. Naptime and playtime are essential to keeping a smile on baby’s face for all the holiday photos.
Here are a few other tips to make this holiday the most special yet:
- Have a baby gift guide for the family. Everyone wants to get baby the greatest thing ever. Make it easier for the family and make a “baby’s wish list” so they know what kind of things baby needs.
- Have an outfit just for baby’s first holiday. Photos will capture the best memories that you and the family can look back on in the years to come. Whether it’s an annual Christmas card or the first photo with Santa, splurge a little and get baby a special outfit. Make sure that the clothes fit so it doesn’t look like baby’s drowning in the material.
- Bedtime stories are a given, but change things up with a children’s holiday story in the days leading up. Not only will it get you into the holiday spirit, but it will also give baby exposure to a classic tale that could become a tradition to read every year. Start other family traditions too, such as opening one gift on Christmas Eve, taking photos in matching holiday pajamas, etc.
- Babies love colorful, sparkly things, so go all out with decorations. Lights, tinsel, and sparkly ornaments can intrigue baby and he’s sure to love the change in the atmosphere. Music and scents can be used to experience the holidays with his senses. Taking baby out and about to see the decoration in the stores can also be a fun way to get into the holiday spirit. Just make sure to baby proof your home so that baby can’t get to the Christmas tree and lights.
- Choose a special stocking for baby to use this year. It could be something specific for his first Christmas, or you could go with something that they can use each year as they get older.
- Throw a baby holiday party. Instead of an adults-only shindig, have your friends bring their little ones with them for an afternoon get-together. The babies can socialize and play with Santa hats while the adults sip on eggnog and cider, swapping tips to survive the season.
About Contemporary Women’s Care.
Contemporary Women’s Care is the leading Winter Park OB GYN and Orlando OB GYN practice located within Central Florida. We take a modern approach to medicine while remaining sensitive to the individual needs of our patients. Excellence is the standard and we hold ourselves accountable to provide nothing less. Book an appointment today by calling 407-478-6249 (OBGY).